Spring Cleaning Sale Hosted by Hamilton Historical
May 19, 2018, 10:00am - May 19, 2018, 4:00pm
BusTrip to 9/11 Memorial & Museum
March 21, 2018, 7:00am - March 21, 2018, 7:00pm
$90 per person includes bus transportation & admission Send Payment to: Hamilton Historical Society PO Box 482 Mays Landing, NJ 08330
Inventions Created by Women
1. The car heater was invented by Margaret A Wilcox in 1893. She also invented a combined clothes and dishwasher.
This popular board game was designed by Elizabeth Magie in 1904, originally called The Landlord's Game. The purpose was to expose the injustices of unchecked capitalism. Her game was ripped off by Charles Darrow who sold it to Parker's Brother's, 30 years later. Parker Brothers paid Elizabeth $ 500 for her game.
3. The Fire escape was invented by Anna Connelly in 1887.
4.the Life Raft was invented by Maria Beasely in 1882.
5. Residential Solar Heating for residential housing was invented by Dr. Maria Telkes in 1947.
6. The Medical Syringe which could be operated by one hand was invented by Letitea Geer in 1899.
7. The Electric refrigerator, was invented by Florence Parpart in 1914, who also invented an improved street cleaning machine.
8. The Ice Cream Maker was invented by Nancy Johnson 1843. Her patented design is still used today .
9.The Computer Algorithm
Ada Lovelace is essentially the first computer programmer due to her work with Charles Babbage at the University of London in 1842. Her notes was an essential key to helping Alan Turing's work on the first modern computer in the 1940's.
10. Some of the telecommunications Technology developed by Dr.Shirley Jackson include portable fax, touch tone telephone , solar cells, fibre optic cables, and the technology behind caller ID and call waiting.
The Dishwasher was invented by Josephine Cochrane in1887. She marketed to hotel owners and opened her own factory in1887.
Hedy Lamarr, a world famous film star ,invented a secret communication system during WWII for radio-controlling torpedoes. This technology paved the way for Wi-Fi and GPS.
13. Dr.Grace Hopper a computer scientist invented COBL in1940. She was also a Rear Admiral in the U.S. Navy and first person to use "bug" in reference to a glitch in a computer. ... See MoreSee Less
Lake Lenape Lake in Mays Landing.
In 1860 our nation had 31 million people living peaceably on farms and small towns. There were 4 million slaves. ... See MoreSee Less